Brinton Collection 9: Views along East African coast, Late 1930s
The footage shows a journey along the East African coastline. There are shots of a flying boat and of various street scenes from different towns and cities. There is also footage of a military parade and of a visiting dignitary inspecting the troops.
- Intertitle: Kenya Korners – Brinton Picture. Footage showing a freighter travelling along the East African coast. There are various shots of the ship, of the shore and of passengers. There are also smaller boats in view with African passengers, and of freight being loaded/unloaded.
- A Sunderland flying boat lands in the harbour and is shown at anchor off shore by large Church. (Aircraft carries the registration G-ADHL). There is then a panning shot of the harbour with the freighter at anchor and the Sunderland flying boat.
- Various shots of Mombasa. Street scenes, the seashore and sunset over the harbour.
- Taken from the shore, showing the Sunderland flying boat taking off and flying away.
- (Ship to shore) Shot from ship leaving Mombasa harbour and showing the land area around the mouth of the harbour with its signalling station. This is followed by two passengers boarding a smaller boat and footage of other ships waiting to enter the port.
- Possibly Dar es Salaam. Various shots of tourists visiting the fortress where enslaved africans were held. This is followed by street scenes with a notice denoting the Eastern Bazaar, and the Central Post Office. Scene walking through busy open-air market with many African vendors and customers (men and women).
- Various shots of a European swimming party using pool at a modern hotel in the shadow of the high walls of Arab fortress. There is then a short shot of two women in a flower garden.
- Shot from boundary line showing a cricket game. Group of European men in their whites, walk off the cricket field.
- Shots from the window of a moving train, of warehouse buildings and factories.
- Portrait shot of a European man smoking a cigarette.
- Various shots of a European couple walking in a garden set beside small waterfall.
- Sequence of shots of a visiting dignitary. A military band marches into square leading detachment of African troops who have shouldered their rifles. A dignitary inspects the troops who have been drawn up in the square in two ranks. He is in full dress military uniform, and accompanied by the commanding officer of the local troops. Walking behind is a colonial officer in white. Traffic in the background flows past with police posted as a cordon. The sequence ends with the band leading the troops away.
- Panning shots of the high plateau of Kenya, hills and small valleys as well as wide shots of rivers, Mount Kenya etc.
The footage has been clipped to remove sensitive images.